Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Paladins, Some Questions

Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

New to Paladins, Some Questions

So, I've been an Overwatch player since its launch. Recently, I've been testing out kits in the vs AI matches. Paladins is a fun game, and seems to be a much more relaxed pace than Overwatch; which is a good thing.

I have a couple of questions.

1) What the heck is gold used for? So far, looking at the store, seems to be fairly useless as everything requires gems for real cash. (I don't need gold for Champions, as that's what $20 for the Founders Pack accomplished.)

2) How does one get chests? Are they ever rewarded through gameplay, or only available from the cash shop?
    Last edited by Kilmeran; 04-02-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Before answering questions, welcome to Paladins.

1.- Well, gold is used for: unlock champions, unlock mastery rewards on each champion (skins, mvp poses, emotes and sprays), unlock recolors, buy levels on your characters, and that's all.

2.- You can get a gold chest when completing 40 quests, buying bundles (with crystals), i don't know if they are still giving chest for leveling up, for completing your ranked placement matches, etc..., just some examples
    LET'S GET THIS KNIFE PARTY STARTED

Hi-Rez Chris is the best Waifu btw

Another (outdated) Maeve Guide:

Beta Player Sovereign Prince
    Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilmeran View Post
    So, I've been an Overwatch player since its launch. Recently, I've been testing out kits in the vs AI matches. Paladins is a fun game, and seems to be a much more relaxed pace than Overwatch; which is a good thing.

I have a couple of questions.

1) What the heck is gold used for? So far, looking at the store, seems to be fairly useless as everything requires gems for real cash. (I don't need gold for Champions, as that's what $20 for the Founders Pack accomplished.)

2) How does one get chests? Are they ever rewarded through gameplay, or only available from the cash shop?
    Hi! Welcome to the forums, hope you stick around!

1- Given you have the founders pack there ain't a lot of uses to your gold. You can use it to buy mastery levels, Legendary cards (aka talents) are locked behind mastery levels from 2 to 12, you can buy the xp you need to unlock a certain talent. You can also use gold to buy mastery skins, emotes, sprays and mvp poses.

2-You can get gold chests from the daily quest after you finish 40 of them (mind that you have a limited time to complete 40 of them, about a month or so, after that you have to start over), you can also get gold chests watching championships streams. Special chests, like the chinese one, are given away as rewards for completing special quests, usually when these chests are first released.
    Commandment number one in ranked matches:
    Never expect your team to do their job, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 1 year registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    1 - Champions, Mastery Levels (skins, poses, emotes, sprays) and basic skins. I think they're looking to add more functionality that could utilize gold in the future though, so expect to see changes in the next few patches to keep purpose to the game.

2 - Gold Chests for 40 quests, whilst the rest is locked behind crystal payments. 50 crystals can be earned every week by logins so there's that.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Paladins. It's nice to watch people come into the game.

Most Damage:
    250K - Dredge (Harpoon)

Most Healing:
    155K - Grover

Most Objective Time:
    451 Seconds - Khan

Most Killing Blows:
    41 - Talus

Runner Up: Dredge - Casual - Frog Isles - 23:34 (Match ID: 801628418)
    Stat Line: 41/18/18
    Objective Time: 126
    Damage: 250,433
    Shielding: 10,236
    Healing: 0

Runner Up: Cassie - Casual - Serpent Beach - 24:13 (Match ID: 788705394)
    Stat Line: 38/12/24
    Objective Time: 97
    Damage: 169,211
    Shielding: 0
    Healing: 0

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Forum Tier 2 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 4
    Welcome :3
    RESISTANCE SHOULD WIN!

RESISTANCE SHOULD WIN!!!

Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for all the answers. And yes, I plan to stick around. I'm loving the game so far.

So, majority of skins are gems or chests, which both seem to be Real Cash to obtain. Is that correct? Not knocking it if it is, just want to understand. It isn't like they charged me an MSRP (I don't count $20 for the Pack as an MSRP), so they need to generate revenue somehow. And I've never had an issue with doing it via cosmetics.

Beta Player Sovereign Prince
    Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Thanks for all the answers. And yes, I plan to stick around. I'm loving the game so far.

So, majority of skins are gems or chests, which both seem to be Real Cash to obtain. Is that correct? Not knocking it if it is, just want to understand. It isn't like they charged me an MSRP (I don't count $20 for the Pack as an MSRP), so they need to generate revenue somehow. And I've never had an issue with doing it via cosmetics.
    Yes, most of them can only be purchased with cristals in chests. But we also have VIP. It will take a while but you can grind VIP for skins on the VIP store rotation. You can also get 50 crystals a week just by loggin in daily.
    Commandment number one in ranked matches:
    Never expect your team to do their job, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Level
    Achievements:
    Is the two week (or however long) VIP access worth it? I've been looking at it, but don't know enough about Paladins to make an educated decision, yet. I mean, I have no problems tossing some bucks at Hi-Rez. Christ knows Blizzard has gotten enough out of me over the years. And after the Cards Unbound reversal with OB68, at least it can appear that Hi-Rez tries to listen. Which is more than I can say after all those years over there.

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered
    VIP points are used mostly for the VIP point skins. They are slow to earn so if you really want those skins it's not a bad idea. I think there is still a promotion with twitch prime and amazon prime which gets you like 2 free weeks. It was slightly confusing to do all the linking of accounts and such but it's not too bad.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/paladins

You do need to sign up for 30 days of amazon prime which wont cost anything but after the 30 days they will bill your card if you don't end their amazon prime promotion before the 30 days. Although it's not hard to do either, basically 2 free weeks of VIP and a tiger mount and some skins. It's a good deal for free, not sure if it's still going though.

Welcome to Paladins and best of luck, hope to see you around.

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Is the two week (or however long) VIP access worth it? I've been looking at it, but don't know enough about Paladins to make an educated decision, yet. I mean, I have no problems tossing some bucks at Hi-Rez. Christ knows Blizzard has gotten enough out of me over the years. And after the Cards Unbound reversal with OB68, at least it can appear that Hi-Rez tries to listen. Which is more than I can say after all those years over there.
    Of course it's worth it, most of the skins in the VIP store are the best in the game imo, also, you can use the vip points to unlock levels on the vip store, that means, more skins, chests (i forgot to say that you can also get chests by doing this), your name will be remarked in gold, you can get a title and there will be a special mount in the future for those who buy the level 5 on the vip store, so yeah, completely worth it.
    LET'S GET THIS KNIFE PARTY STARTED

Hi-Rez Chris is the best Waifu btw

Another (outdated) Maeve Guide: