Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dimitri, The Cyclops

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    This is a really well made concept, however there are several things I want to point out:

1.) His harpoon is too similar to Makoa:
    It is important to make champions very different in functions and to prevent overlap. I don't think that his hook should pull the enemy to him like Makoa's dredge anchor.

I would recommend another function for the harpoon -such as the tether preventing the enemy from going too far from Karnak without triggering some sort of penalty or effect. For example, a harpooned enemy that goes too far can be damaged or stunned. You can also add a mechanic that triggers if the enemy remains tethered within Karnak's line of sight for specific time period.

2.) His movement skill is too similar to Grover's Vine:
    This is the same issue as the harpoon where some differentiation is needed. Movement skills are alot harder to make unique because many of the different methods of movement (teleport, jump, leap) are already covered by other champions in the roster. It's ok to have some similarities to another champ's skill but you can add some extra flavor to change how the skills are used (such as Lex's slide vs. Lian's slide, one can be used offensively for damage but doesn't grant invulnerability).

Something simple like giving him a massive damage reduction while allowing him to lumber forward at an increased speed might even work for movement.

Overall though, his design is really awesome and well put together. We definitely need more fantasy creatures like Cyclopses.
    Last edited by Rivenmist; 11-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I think the legendary for his ultimate should be like Inara's earthen guard in that it makes you take more healing, even when you're being heavily cauterized. Otherwise it would be lackluster in comparison to the other 2, especially given how strong cripples are in this game.
    Well....You are not wrong.
    Actually considering he does need to eat damage to get a reward with that ult, I would dare say he could use the increased healing in his ult, and is a worthwhile mention.
    I think my only concern at the time was that I felt like he has ample ability to get out of caut with his kit, but getting out of caut means you are not looking to deal and eat damage, which renders the ult less effective. I'll consider the change, but as for now I'll dwell on thinking on an alternative Legendary card if I sub it.

As regarding how resilience affects the chain?
    It greatly effects the duration in which you can pull that champion toward you.
    Which at tier 3 resilience would mean you have 0.2s to mash Harpoon again to pull the foe.
    Which means insta mashing the RMB key as soon as the harpoon makes contact.
    ... I kinda dislike the sound of this as a concept ability and have seen the flaw for awhile.
    ... But it turns it into Hook and Pull and looses all of it's slow and cripple effects.
    I had originally intended for a 4 sec duration on the harpoon link. But I got a feeling that is broken time for a potential %40 slow, even 3s sounds scary to me.

Maybe it can deal additional damage if a certain amount of damage was sustained with the damage resistance? Just a suggestion.
    As in something like say... every 800 damage I absorb with the damage resistance, the laser damage gets multiplied, or gets and extra 1.2k of damage each tier?
    Yeah I feel like it would be simpler to word and implement in game going down that sort of path.

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenmist View Post
    This is a really well made concept, however there are several things I want to point out:

1.) His harpoon is too similar to Makoa:
    It is important to make champions very different in functions and to prevent overlap. I don't think that his hook should pull the enemy to him like Makoa's dredge anchor.

I would recommend another function for the harpoon -such as the tether preventing the enemy from going too far from Karnak without triggering some sort of penalty or effect. For example, a harpooned enemy that goes too far can be damaged or stunned. You can also add a mechanic that triggers if the enemy remains tethered within Karnak's line of sight for specific time period.

2.) His movement skill is too similar to Grover's Vine:
    This is the same issue as the harpoon where some differentiation is needed. Movement skills are alot harder to make unique because many of the different methods of movement (teleport, jump, leap) are already covered by other champions in the roster. It's ok to have some similarities to another champ's skill but you can add some extra flavor to change how the skills are used (such as Lex's slide vs. Lian's slide, one can be used offensively for damage but doesn't grant invulnerability).

Something simple like giving him a massive damage reduction while allowing him to lumber forward at an increased speed might even work for movement.

Overall though, his design is really awesome and well put together. We definitely need more fantasy creatures like Cyclopses.
    While I feel like Makoa does have is own uniqueness with his hook,
    There is too much value in the game for displacement in the game in the form of pulls to render all ideas void.
    What renders Harpoon less effective is that:
    - harder to pull off with heavy resilience
    - it does not provide hard lockdown CC the same way Makoa's hook does.
    - does not have the same pull rate
    (Which means even while being pulled they can bust their mobility option to wall it off.)
    I admit I could use some more wording around the way it acts

As for his mobility being akin to Grover's, I have already voiced some concerns on this.
    But the originality for the idea was just the fact he can tether and pull a foe, why not himself? It was a pretty fast idea.
    I have thought of changing it so he can only slide across the ground with this ability for originality sake, I just think there is a lot of advantage in vertical mobility.
    Moving Tether out of the abilities list and rolling that ability into a side function of the Harpoon, so it could be used as mobility.
    While he gets another mobility option.

I'll give this guy a do over some time soon with some art concepts.

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Achievements:
    I had to make a change after I considered how having two harpoon like projectiles could lead to.
    For instance pulling a fake throw with one harpoon / Grover vine clone, then throwing the harpoon grown men should fear, is just a little silly. So I make some changes to mobility, even though I am sad about them.

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Achievements:
    WE GOING BACK TO THE OLD ONE, THE ONE THAT FIRED TWO HARPOONS, WHO SHOT LAZERS FROM HIS EYES AND PULL DRAGONS FROM THE SKY.

SRS though I gave him a few tweaks here and there. I think I am done with this chap other then number tweaks and card changes, his abilities seem pretty honest if you ask me. I would love to get behind a deranged homicidal masochistic brutal cyclops warlord as he hoses foes off his point.

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Achievements:
    Got bored...
    Gave it some art... Check
    Has a story... Check
    Is necro a thing in Community Creations?

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Achievements:
    Some people make many champion concepts.
    I like to take my time.
    I reworked everything to make Dimitri a bit different then other Frontline Classes.
    His Mobility Tool is reworked to allow the player to have options to cancel it when it is cast, no longer locking the player to the position they fired from.

Honestly though, the creative design of this game went down the sinkhole when we stopped getting trope power fantasy characters and instead got human after human after human.

The past few frontlines have no character to them at all, just a human with a half assed backstory to fill in the gaps.
    All the recent supports are small humanoids...
    Wtf..... even throwing in a few elves would have been a nice touch.
    This is a power fantasy game....
    Where are the trolls, werewolves, vamps, clerics, barbarians, druids, jellies, beastmasters, necromancers,
    How is it that we get a "ghost zombie pirate" before an actual pirate character....

Anyway
    This is Dimitri
    The Chaingun Cyclops Barbarian

Beta Player Marquess JohnOfAllTrades's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 1 year registered 10000 Experience Points
    I feel bad since you seem to be talking to yourself at this time lol. I would agree that some of the recent stuff can be a bit dull when the world allows for so much. However, I have to say that they still seem to be doing a better job with less boring humanoids than they used to.
    If you ever need a review for a champion concept just message me.

Paladins Champion Concept Hub

Smite God Concept Hub

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Forum Tier 3
    I think it's pretty unoriginal
    his weapon sounds a bit like ruckus but less precise (I actually imagine it like the minigun from realm royale)
    harpoon sounds like dredge
    the shield almost like koa's talent, and sounds a bit too much like wiston from OW
    hook sounds like aggressive grover vine
    and well ult is original but would either be op or useless, op if the beam can one shot multiple people, useless if you can just die during your ult and did nothing with it

yep I don't like this concept

Beta Player Count
    Level
    Achievements:
    [edited by mod]
    Your words have no weight here, it is just negative feedback with no reasoning at all. I made a medium mobility supression frontline with medium skill shot soft control mechanics, I like it, and there is no tank like it in the game so far.

All you managed to say is that you gave him a glance.
    Which is good considering at a glance most champion concepts are picked apart for how flawed their design is.
    Last edited by Borvik; 07-19-2019 at 06:23 PM.